OF ORGANS IN NORFOLK by David Drinkell
to individual churches will be added as they appear on
compiled from the National Pipe Organ Register, the writings of
various enthusiasts, notably Ralph Bootman, and
my own notes. It does not claim to be 100%
complete, and the information may have been
rendered out of date by recent events and
transfers. The list does not, with a few
exceptions, include harmoniums or electronic
(1934) rebuilt Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt
Alburgh Morten &
Taylor (London) c.1887
Arnold 1938, but looks like a Casson
Aldborough Norman &
Aldeby Bishop &
Alderford some work by
Anmer A.C. Lever,
for Street of Kings Lynn.
& Dreaper (Liverpool) donated 1975
- 1866 Walker rebuild of barrel organ,
ex-Horstead Hall 1914
Ashill Walker 1870
Ashwicken Norman & Beard 1904
Attlebridge E & W Storr 1977
Attleborough - Gray & Davison, Norman & Beard
1912, Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt 1962
Aylmerton Mark Noble 1865.
restored Boggis 1972
Aylsham Bishop 1854, Norman
& Beard 1910
Baconsthorpe Abbott (Leeds)
Bale Holdich, ex-SS.
Simon & Jude, Norwich.
Banham Norman & Beard 1915, incorporating
Banningham E & W Storr
1972, ex-Brundall 1999
Barford from an RC church in
Peterborough 1959. Looks like a Casson
Positive ex-Rockland St. Peter
Barnham Broom Corps 1850 barrel
and finger organ.
Little Barningham part of 1860 Mark Noble organ
from St. Margaret de Westwick, Norwich, installed by
Barton Bendish Halmshaw
Barton Turf Bates ex-barrel
Bawburgh Hill 1867 practice
organ for Dr. Bunnett at Norwich Cathedral. Moved here
Bawdeswell Norman & Beard
1901 for Shotesham House. Casework here J. Fletcher
Bedingham Hill 1863 for a
house in London. Here 1884.
Beeston Regis Robin Winn (Bath)
1990, replacing old Paddy Benson organ.
Beeston St Lawrence E.W. Norman 1879,
converted from a barrel organ
Beeston-next-Mileham James Scott (West
Beetley appears to be a Casson
Beighton another Casson, installed from a church
in Ascot by Boggis
Belaugh - The Revd. G. Buck. Pretty
case by Cedric Arnold 1950s.
Belton anonymous two-manual organ
Bergh Apton Walker 1838, rebuilt
Norman & Beard 1900
Besthorpe E.W. Norman 1881
Binham built by Fincham
(London) via W.C. Mack for East Harling 1880. Moved here
by David Miller (Orwell) 1982.
Bintree James Scott (West
Tofts), original case replaced 1930 by Middleton
Bittering Casson Positive
Blakeney Norman & Beard
Blakeney Methodist pretty Gothick case
Blickling Snetzler chamber
organ case 1762
Blo Norton Casson Positive
Blofield Hill organ from St. Peter, Highgate Hill,
Upper Holloway, installed by Boggis 1999
Bodham Casson Positive rebuilt
by Cedric Arnold
Bodney Casson Positive
Booton Harmonium with fake
pipes on top. Organ now in Paston Grammar School stood
here for a short time.
Bradwell Walker 1909
Bramerton Norman & Beard
1893 (probably done by Paddy Benson)
Brampton Norman & Beard
Brancaster Wordsworth (Leeds)
Brandiston James Corps 1866
ex-Haveringland, here 1887
Brandon Parva Mark Noble 1867
Braydeston Norman & Beard 1910
Breckles Norman & Beard
Bressingham Bevington 1913, but also Bryceson
barrel organ 1859
Brettenham Henry Jones 1902
Briningham Bryceson chamber
organ c.1840, ex-Briningham House, moved here 1930
Brisley Bevington 1832
barrel organ, converted 1867
Brockdish Norman & Beard
1905 using up old organ
Brooke W.C. Mack 1878, rebuilt Williamson
& Hyatt 1960 with pretty new case
Broome Elliot chamber organ
1817 for a house in West Wickham, Kent. Here 1937. Nice
Burgh Castle anonymous. Glass strip above the
music desk, showing the pallets moving.
Burgh-next-Aylsham Alfred Hunter
Burgh St Peter from a church in
Yarmouth, restored by Boggis after fire damage
Burnham Deepdale E.W. Norman 1886, rebuilt
Norman & Beard 1913
Burnham Norton Roger Pulham
(Charsfield, Suffolk) 1985 with typical fine case (Pulham
is an architect as well as an organ builder)
Burnham Overy from Burnham
Burnham Thorpe probably W.C. Mack,
but Street (Kings Lynn & Yarmouth) also
Burnham Ulph Glasspool of
Wymondham supplied in 1909, rebuilt Cedric Arnold,
Williamson and Hyatt 1961
Burnham Westgate from a church in
Cornwall, installed by Holmes & Swift
Buxton Walker 1865
Caistor-on-Sea Binns 1920, Holmes
& Swift 1987
Caistor St. Edmund Mark Noble
Calthorpe Holdich, stood in
two Norwich churches, then St. Albans, Lakenham.
Cantley Corps & Co.
Carbrooke Bishop & Son c.1890
Carleton Rode Norman & Beard
Carleton St Peter Norman & Beard
Castle Acre Holdich 1863, ex-St.
Nicholas, Kings Lynn
Castle Rising Walker 1883
Caston Norman & Beard (probably Paddy Benson)
1902 ex-Bramerton Hall.
Catfield W.C. Mack 1899
Catton Rayson 1880, Betts 1937, Williamson &
Cawston George Pike England
1813, ex-St. Stephen, Norwich
Chedgrave Bryceson 1879 for
Gooderstone, to Hedenham 1947 (one of Canon Pagets
acquisitions) and here in 1950. Only two stops, one of
which is enormous and the other quiet.
Clenchwarton Forster &
Cley-next-the-Sea Bryceson c.1960,
done up nicely by Bower 2002.
Cockley Cley Speechley &
Ingram (London) c.1865 for Great Barton, Suffolk. Here
Colkirk Norman & Beard
1890s from Blofield Church qv.
Colney Bevington c.1870 from Colney Hall.
Coltishall Corps 1870
Colton Mark Noble 1855
Congham Middleton 1925
Costessey Catholic church Richard Bower 1997
Costessey Norman & Beard 1916
Cranworth Richard Bower 1990,
salvaging parts of Norman & Beard 1888 damaged by
bell falling from tower.
Crimplesham John Eagles (London) c.1860 for a
London church. Here 1900.
Cringleford Wood, Wordsworth (Leeds) rebuilt of
Hill, Norman & Beard organ, on the advice of Ralph
Bootman, who got them several jobs in the area.
Cromer part of casework came from Bath Abbey, via
Norwich Cathedral, where it was used to clothe a
temporary organ after the 1938 fire.
Crostwick T.C. Lewis c.1880
Positive (church now private house, organ
Denton Bryceson 1868
Denver Walker 1894 for residence in Kirkby
Dereham some 17th century
pipes by Father Smith in Hill organ 1875,
rebuilt most recently by Bower 1995. There is/was also a
chamber organ in the church.
Dereham Catholic church possibly by Holdich,
installed Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt 1969.
Dersingham Forster & Andrews 1884
Dickleburgh Norman & Beard
1909 from St. James, Southtown, Great Yarmouth, rebuilt
here by Boggis 1997
Dilham Walker 18576
Diss magnum opus of Rayson
1877, rebuilt most recently by Denis Thurlow 1974
Ditchingham Norman & Beard
Ditchingham, All Hallows Convent Hill, Norman
& Beard 1955, interesting small three-manual multum
Docking rebuilt Lloyd (Nottingham) 1875 of old
Downham Market rebuild Johnson (Cambridge) 1977 of
old Walker organ
Drayton Norman & Beard 1912
Dunston possibly Gray & Davison
Earlham Norman & Beard 1901
Earsham Bryceson 1851, won a
medal at the Great Exhibition
East Bradenham Samuel Green chamber organ, 1786,
altered, ex-Huntingfield Hall
East Harling Walker 1854, ex-St.
James, Hatcham, London, installed and much rebuilt by
David Miller (Orwell). New case. Old organ went to Binham
East Rainham Wordsworth c.1890
East Rudham Walker 1885
East Ruston Middleton organ moved to Walcot when
church became redundant.
East Tuddenham Norman & Beard
East Winch Bates 1844 ex-St. Mary, Diss, installed
here 1878 by Rayson
East Walton James Scott (West Tofts) 1865,
ex-Gayton Thorpe. Here 1946.
East Wretham Corps 186
Easton Bishop & Starr 1863 from
Thakenham Hall, Pulborough, Sussex.
Eaton, Christ Church Norman & Beard 1890
Eaton, St. Andrew Walker Model organ,
remodelled Williamson & Hyatt 1950s.
Edgefield T.S. Jones (London)
1883 for a London residence, here in 1937. The previous
organ was burned in the churchyard by the Rector after
the tuner broke his back inside it and died.
Edingthorpe The Revd. George
Fakenham Hele (Plymouth) 1926 large
provincial builder, not that common in East Anglia, but
they did rebuild the old organ at St. Peter Mancroft,
Felbrigg possibly Lewis 1900,
installed by Holmes & Swift from Banningham 1997
Felmingham by Corps of Norwich
1865 for Keswick Hall, Norfolk, thence to Intwood Church,
where Ralph Bootman made a new case for it in 1967. Here
Felthorpe James Corps 1865,
moved here from Ketteringham Hall 1902
Feltwell, St. Mary Conacher (Huddersfield) from
Resolven, S. Wales. Here 1983.
Feltwell, St. Nicholas Holdich, from St.
Feltwell Methodist Bedwell (Cambridge) 1865,
rebuilt Miller, moved from Downham Market Methodist
Fersfield Bates ex-barrel organ 1835 for Euston
Hall, Thetford. Here in 1931
Filby Walker 1879
Field Dalling Conacher, installed
from elsewhere by Boggis 1974
Fishley Edward & John
Pistor chamber organ 1781, ex-Fishley Hall
Model Organ 1909 given by King Edward VII
Flordon Bryceson chamber organ c.1845,for Glebe
House, Hunstanton, moved to Thornham Church, later stood
in Hedenham Church, here 1956. Resembles the one at
Forncett St. Mary Norman & Beard
organ scrapped when church closed (church now derelict).
Forncett St. Mary Methodist Glasspool Bros.
Forncett St. Peter Holdich 1873
Foulden Bates (London) for Lord Amherst of Hackeny
1840. Presented by his widow.
Foulsham Norman & Beard
Framingham Earl Norman & Beard
Framingham Pigot Holdich 1863
Freethorpe Casson Positive
Freethorpe Methodist Compton Miniatura
Frettenham pipe organ apparently installed 1993:
an electronic when I was there years ago.
Fritton St. Edmund James Jones (London one
time partner of Snetzler) 1774, presented here 1879 and
installed by W.C. Mack (Great Yarmouth).
Garboldisham put in by W.C. Mack,
but possibly built by Gildersleeves
Garveston Bevington 1902 from
St. Thomas, Streatham Hill, installed by Norden
Gayton Norman & Beard ex-Sprowston Road
Gayton Thorpe chamber organ possibly by Samuel
Street (Kings Lynn)
Gaywood Norman & Beard
1908 ex-Middleton Towers. Fine case.
Geldeston Henry Jones (London) 1898
Gillingham W.C. Mack (Great
Gimingham Bryceson 1878
Gissing John Rayson
Gooderstone Bishop c.1820 for a house in Sydenham.
Gorleston, St. Andrew 1904 Norman & Beard from
St. Johns, Lowestoft rebuilt here by Wood
Wordsworth (Leeds) 1979.
Gorleston, St. Mary Magdalen Willis
Great Bircham Gray & Davison organ from
Emmanuel, Chesham, installed by Kenneth Canter (Thurston)
Great Cressingham Hill 1870, Hill, Norman &
Great Ellingham Bevington 1870,
installed here Hill, Norman & Beard 1938 from
Great Ellingham Methodist made from bits of
several organs by Boggis in 1945 for New Buckenham
Methodist. Here 1994.
Great Hockham Bishop 1892
Great Massingham Holdich
Great Melton Norman & Beard
Great Plumstead Bishop 1894
Great Ryburgh Gray & Davison
Great Snoring Denman (York) 1867,
from somewhere else and wedged sideways in the tower
Great Walsingham organ ex-West Tofts (where it
preceded the famous one now at South Pickenham) via
Santon Downham. It was said to be by James Scott of West
Tofts, but a signature inside suggests it is by George
Dawson of Cambridge. Dawson did various bits of work for
people like the Suttons and passed on his mantle to A.T.
Miller, whose firm likewise did a lot of nice gothic
Great Witchingham E.W. Norman 1880 for
Cowper Memorial Congregational, Dereham. Here 1938
Great Yarmouth, St. Nicholas Case by Stephen Dykes
Bower (softwood with painted decoration inspired by
Pearson cases in Westminster Abbey). Organ by Hill,
ex-St. Mary the Boltons, Kensington, installed by
Great Yarmouth, Methodist Central Hall Compton
1937. Unusual in that the notes of the Pedal Organ are
Great Yarmouth, St. James Norman & Beard 1896
(this church is now converted to offices).
Great Yarmouth, St. John Binns 1912
Great Yarmouth¸St. Mary, Southtown W.C. Mack 1867
Great Yarmouth, St. Mary RC Forster & Andrews
Great Yarmouth, St. Peter Binns 1939
Gresham Mark Noble for
Gresham Hall 1867, moved to the church in 1893.
Gressenhall Norman & Beard
Grimston Bodley case, organ by Wordsworth
Griston Norman & Beard 1906
Gunthorpe Mark Noble1863
Gunton anonymous, nice case
Hackford Mark Noble 1865
Haddiscoe Hill organ 1858
ex-St. Bartholomew, Heigham 1888
Hainford Gray & Davison 1899
Hales Henry Holland
chamber organ c.1790
Halvergate Norman & Beard
Willis Scudamore organ (a small model instrument based on
a minimalist instrument at Upton Scudamore, Wiltshire)
Happisburgh Norman & Beard
1900, installed a Walker organ from Emsworth, Hants
Hardingham Henry Jones 1897
Hardwick amateur effort,
original possibly c.1830
Harleston Holdich 1859
Harpley Abbott (Leeds)
Hautbois Holdich, possibly
built for the old church.
Haveringland Norman & Beard
Heacham Spurden Rutt (London) 1914 ex-East
Finchley Congregational. Installed here by A.J. Shaw
& Son (Heacham), modified Holmes & Swift 1992
Hedenham Walker, 1885,
modified. Gordon Paget was Rector here and several organs
passed through the church over the years.
Helhoughton Bryceson 1852
Hellesdon Gray c.1840
Hempnall Eustace Ingram
Hempstead near Holt Bevington
Hempton Nelson (Durham) from St. Luke,
Scarborough, rebuilt here by Holmes & Swift 1984
Hemsby Willis 1967 functional
Hethel The Revd. G. Buck. Originally in
East Carleton Manor 1882, moved here in 1894.
Hethersett rebuilt Nicholson
Hethersett Methodist Rushworth & Dreaper
(Liverpool) Capella Model Organ, here 1984
from Keswick Hall Chapel, Norfolk.
Hevingham John Rayson 1898
Heydon Wordsworth 1883
Hickling Norman & Beard 1897
Hilborough Bevington 1870, but the case looks
much, much older and is similar to the late 17th century
one at Staunton Harold, a fact which seems little known.
Hilgay Casson Positive
Hillington Snetzler chamber
organ, ex-Christ Church, Westminster, erected by Holdich
Hindolveston Hunter & Webb
c.1860 for Oulton Church Institute. Here 1946 (Boggis)
Hindringham Rest Cartwright (London) 1935
Hingham Forster &
Hingham Congregational Bevington
Hockering Norman & Beard
1911 for Runham Church. Here 1972.
Hockwold St. James Cousans (Lincoln) 1912 for St.
Peter, Hockwold. Here 1974.
Holkham probably based on an
organ in Holkham Hall, rebuilt by Thos. Hewins of
Stratford upon Avon (his only work in the county).
Holme Hale W.C. Mack for Cromer PC. Here 1897 as
Holme-next-the-Sea Walker 1894 for Holme House,
moved to the church 1937.
Holt electronic. Pipe
organ went to South Africa.
Holt Greshams School Chapel Conacher
(Huddersfield), ex-Derby Road Baptist, Nottingham,
rebuilt Nicholson 1975. The organ Benjamin Britten played
as a schoolboy is in a United Reformed Church in Cheam.
Honingham Norman & Beard
Hopton on Sea Holdich 1866. Odd pipeless case by
Horning Norman & Beard
Horningtoft Walker 1860 ex-Bodiam Manor, Sussex.
Horsey Norman & Beard 1905
Horsford Mark Noble organ from elsewhere,
installed by Clive Hoar 1993. New Chaire case
designed by Jerry March in front of old chamber organ
Horsham St. Faith Corps/Norman & Beard organ
from St. Martin-at-Palace, Norwich. Installed here by E
& W Storr 1973.
Horstead John Rayson 1880.
Houghton St. Giles, RC Shrine 2 organs by
Schumacher (Belgium) 1982
Houghton-next-Harpley chamber organ from
Warminster School awaiting faculty for installation 2004.
Hoveton Norman & Beard
rebuild of original organ by Middleton.
Hoveton Catholic church Nigel Church
(Newcastle), designed (as several of his jobs were) by
Georges Lhôte of Geneva. Smart case.
Howe T.S. Jones, from elsewhere. Here
Hunstanton Norman & Beard 1890
Ickburgh Walker 1867
Ingham Bevington 1890,
ex-Holbeach Congregational 1967.
Ingoldisthorpe Norman & Beard 1915.
Positive, installed here 1932. Rebuilt Arnold
Irstead Holdich c.1860
Itteringham Mark Noble 1865,
ex-Pirnough. Here 1997. Fine case.
Kelling Norman & Beard
for J.J. Muirhead, then to Keswick Church and rebuilt
here after water damage.
Kenninghall Norman & Beard 1913.
Ketteringham Corps 1865 for
Felthorpe Church, Ketteringham Hall 1885, here 1902.
Kilverstone Norman & Beard 1906
Kings Lynn All Saints rebuilt Rest
Cartwright (London) 1927, containing work by Holdich and
Street (Kings Lynn)
Kings Lynn St. John Norman & Beard
1892, Holmes & Swift 2002
Kings Lynn St. Margaret Snetzler, built
while the celebrated musicologist Dr. Charles Burney (his
daughter was Fanny Burney, the novelist), was organist.
One of Snetzlers biggest organs, it has been
rebuilt several times, most recently in 2004 by Holmes
& Swift, when the magnificent case was restored.
Kings Lynn St.
case by John Oldrid Scott, Father
Kirby Cane J.C. Bishop Organ Builder to His
Positive , rebuilt Williamson & Hyatt
Lakenham, St. Alban Godball (Ipswich) for St.
Mary-on-the-Quay, Ipswich 1888. Here 1948.
Lakenham, St. John the Baptist and All SS
Lakenham, St. Mark Norman & Beard
Lamas by local Benjamin
Collins (who was also a boot-maker) 1845. Later in
Scottow Hall (and possibly Church), back to Lamas Church
Langham Norman & Beard
1888. On wooden rollers.
Langley Norman & Beard 1888 for Woodbastwick
House. Rebuilt here 1976.
Larling W. Boughton & Son (Thetford) 1895
Lenwade anonymous, restored
Ralph Bootman 1972
Lessingham Hewitt (London)
Letheringsett Thomas Jones 1922,
substantially remodelled Richard Bower c.1993. Also an
old barrel organ.
Limpenhoe Norman & Beard 1882
Lingwood Norman & Beard
Litcham Thomas Jones
Little Barningham Mark Noble 1860 ex-St. Gregory,
Little Ellingham Casson
Positive installed by Bower c.1986
Little Fransham Anonymous,
originally in Taverham Hall. Moved to Southborough Church
in 1919 and rebuilt by Williamson & Hyatt here in
Little Massingham Wordsworth (Leeds) 1911
Little Melton The Revd. George
Buck for Costessey Church. Here 1916.
Little Plumstead Norman & Beard
1896. Snetzler organ formerly here is at Wesleys
New Room Chapel in Bristol.
Little Snoring chamber organ c.1810
by C. Howard of Fakenham
Little Walsingham In 1964, after a fire, Cedric
Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt built an outstanding
instrument in the west end, with a nice, inexpensive
Little Walsingham, Anglican Shrine electronic
replaced small second-hand pipe organ
Little Walsingham Methodist chamber organ by C.C.
Nizer (who?) 1880s
Loddon John Bullen (local)
1821, Middleton 1926.
Ludham 1933 Betts installed
Bevington organ from Ingham.
Lyng Rest Cartwright
(London) 1925, somewhat modified (his organs can be
Lyng Methodist 1930s from a house in Cromer
Marham James Scott (West Tofts)
Marsham Norman & Beard
Marshland St James Casson
Positive (now a private house - SK)
Martham originally Forster
& Andrews c.1860, but altered by Mack, Norman &
Beard, Bower and Boggis.
Mattishall Norman & Beard
Mattishall Burgh Walker barrel organ
Melton Constable W.J. Northcott
Merton Norman & Beard
Methwold Walker c.1864, ex-St. George, Darleston,
Staffs, incorporated in new organ by Keith Bance of
Harrow 1975 (Rector was a Fellow of the Royal College of
Metton smallest organ ever
built by Walker 1850 for a house in York. Here
Middleton Holdich 1854.
Mileham Norman & Beard
Morley St. Botolph Compton
Miniatura Model Organ 1954
Morley St. Peter anonymous 2 manual
Mulbarton Norman & Beard 1887 (Jubilee
Mundelsey Forster & Andrews, ex-St. Mary,
Baldock, incorporated in Norman & Beard organ 1914.
Mundford Comper case, Harrison organ 1912
Mundham Hill ex-Seething
Narborough Norman & Beard 1892
Neatishead originally Corps,
but rebuilt by Storr and Holmes & Swift
Necton Holmes & Swift 1990, fine case
Needham possibly by Bates,
early 19th cent
Newton Flotman Norman & Beard 1910
New Buckenham Samuel & Twyford
Nordelph Corps organ removed
by local amateur when church closed
Nordelph Wesleyan Miller (Cambridge) organ 1924
went to AJF Museum, Downham Market
Northrepps anonymous 2 manual.
North Burlingham Maybe Holdich (or Bevington)
1864, via Great Shelford, Horham and Fressingfield. Here
North Creake Norman & Beard
North Elmham Mark Noble barrel
North Lopham barrel and finger
organ by J.C. Bishop for Stanhoe Hall, brought here in
1953. Barrel mechanism still functional.
North Pickenham Bevington 1884
North Runcton Norman & Beard 1890 for North
Runcton Hall, to the church 1897.
North Tuddenham Bevington 1875
North Walsham Hill 1873, Norman & Beard 1912,
Hill, Norman & Beard 1965
North Wootton Bryceson ex-Great
Lumley, Durham. An amateur transplant.
Northwold Hill 1868
Norton Subcourse converted Bates
Norwich, All Saints, Newton Road Ingram 1899
Norwich Cathedral large organ Hill, Norman
& Beard 1943, after fire damage. Case by Stephen
Dykes Bower. Snetzler chamber organ in one of the
chapels. Also a small organ by Principal Pipe Organs
Norwich, RC Cathedral an electronic organ is the
principal instrument in use, but there is also a 2 manual
pipe organ. Ralph Bootman points out that the Norman
& Beard plate does not tie up with the date (1876) as
George Wales Beard had not been taken into partnership
then. The reverse of the plate is engraved James Scott
(West Tofts). There have been various schemes to provide
a larger pipe organ, including one to install the St.
Johns, Lowestoft, instrument (this eventually went
Norwich, Chapelfield Road Methodist Norman Bros.
Norwich, Christian Spiritualist Church Storr 1951
from secondhand parts
Norwich, King Edward VI Grammar School case from
old cathedral organ
Norwich Norfolk & Norwich Hospital Chapel
Norman & Beard 1894. Next door to their factory.
Interesting pipeless case.
Norwich, Octagon Chapel purchased in 1802,
much rebuilt. Good case.
Norwich, Old Meeting House case traditionally
Dallam 1664 from Cathedral, recast Salvin 1834, some 17th
Norwich, St. Andrew case by H.F. Green
1905, Norman & Beard organ.
Norwich - St. Andrews Hall rebuilt Hill,
Norman & Beard 1983 after a long silence.
Norwich, St. Augustine Rayson 1878 for St.
Peter Hungate. Here 1915.
Norwich, St. Catherine Hill, Norman & Beard
1933 as a demonstration model. Stood temporarily in
Norwich Cathedral after the 1938 fire. Here 1944. Case by
Norwich, St. Clement Norman & Beard
Norwich, St. Francis, Heartsease chamber organ
from a Norwich house, then St. Etheldredas Church.
Norwich, St. George Colegate George Pike England
Norwich, St. George Tombland Godball 1865, ex-St.
Mary-at-the-Walls, Colchester. Here 1888 (when St.
Marys had a new Hunter organ, now at Brentwood
Norwich, St. Giles old organ removed,
Alfred Davies (Northampton) organ from a Christian
Science Church (he made a lot of them in a deal with this
denomination) installed as a temporary measure.
Norwich, St. Gregory Norman Bros. 1887.
Norwich, St. Helen Mark Noble c.1855.
Norwich, St. James Corps organ 1870
ex-Coltishall, sold to Boggis 1978 (church now Norwich
Norwich, St. John
Robert Hope-Jones (Noriwich) 1897. Early electric
action which proved unsatisfactory and was replaced by
Norman & Beard 1904, 1914
Norwich, St. John Sepulchre E.W. Norman
Norwich, St. John the
Baptist Timberhill Middleton 1925, rebuilt Holmes &
Norwich, St. Julian - Henry Jones 1860 for a
house in Abbess Roding, Essex, found in a warehouse in
Chelmsford and rebuilt here 1966.
Norwich, St. Laurence G.P. England organ,
ex-Chapel Field house and St. Andrew, went to South
Norwich, St. Luke Residence organ by Norman &
Beard 1896 for J.J. Dawson Paul of Boulton & Paul
Ltd. Brought here as a WW1 memorial. Elaborate case.
Norwich, St. Margaret part of Mark Noble
organ 1860 was rebuilt at Little Barningham 1976.
Norwich, St. Martin at Oak Norman & Beard
1887 transferred to Corton, Suffolk.
Norwich, St. Martin at
organ to St. Faith, Horsham 1973
Norwich, St. Mary Magdalene T.S. Jones 1915
Norwich, St. Mary & St. Andrew, St. Faiths
originally Corps, but much enlarged. Case above
console contains large panel said to be from fireplace in
Norwich St. Mary
Bevington 1870 (now gone, this church is now
offices and sales space - sk)
Norwich, St. Marys Baptist Hill, Norman
& Beard 1951
Norwich, St. Michael Coslany Norman & Beard
1885 for Fisheries Exhibition. Removed to Unthank Road
Norwich, St. Michael at Plea Norman & Beard
1887, to Swanton Morley 1970.
Norwich, St. Peter Hungate ancient Italian
organ from a monastery in Lucca and a barrel organ,
ex-Hoveton (now gone, this church is an empty shell -
Norwich, St. Peter Mancroft west gallery organ by
Peter Collins 1983 influenced by German neo-classical
style. East end organ by Boggis of Diss, using some parts
of the old instrument.
Norwich, St. Peter
Parmentergate Rayson 1879, to Norwich School.
Norwich, St. Peters Methodist Norman &
Beard 1901. Rebuilt for the new church 1939.
Norwich, St. Stephen T.C. Lewis (London)
Norwich, Silver Road Baptist rebuilt Hill, Norman
& Beard 1920, possibly Gray & Davison
Norwich, Earlham, St. Anne Williamson & Hyatt.
Norwich, Earlham, St. Elizabeth minimalist organ
by Boggis with moveable console
Norwich, Earlham, St. Mary Gothick case by Samuel
Street (Kings Lynn) containing Bevington organ,
ex-Horndon-on-the-Hill, Essex, installed here Arnold,
Williamson & Hyatt 1966.
Norwich, Eaton, Christ Church Norman & Beard
Norwich, Heigham, Holy Trinity Rothwell (Harrow)
1921, 1935. Retains what is now a very rare example of
Rothwells patent console with the stops between the
Norwich, Heigham, St. Barnabas Middleton 1926
Norwich, Heigham, St. Philip Mack 1870 (this
church is now demolished - sk)
Norwich, Heigham, St. Thomas Storr 1977
Norwich, Methodist, Mile Cross Norman & Beard
1914. One of the few remaining examples of their
disc and button type of console.
Norwich, Methodist, Rosebery Road installed Storr
1958 from a church in Manchester. Enlarged 1998 by John
Norwich, URC, Princes Street Father
Willis 1870, rebuilt Henry Willis III 1930
Norwich, URC, Unthank Road Norman Bros., ex-St.
Michael, Coslaney. Rebuilt in the new church by members
of the congregation.
Norwich, New Catton, Christ Church Norman &
Norwich, Tuckswood, St. Paul Boggis 1882, for
residence of Arthur Davies, Norwich. Here 1888.
Old Buckenham by Stanton
Gildersleeve (Bury St. Edmunds) for his own house. Here
Old Hunstanton Walker 1936, 1954. Nice case.
Ormsby St. Margaret Norman & Beard
Ormesby St. Michael Bevington 1860
Oulton built by amateur Archie Chaffey and
presented to the church on his death 1941. Some pipes are
made of paper and cardboard.
Outwell Holdich c.1874
Overstrand Norman & Beard organ rebuilt and
enlarged Bower 2002.
Oxborough one of W.C.
Macks first jobs c.1850, possibly an old Holdich
Oxburgh Hall chapel chamber organ
attributed to Snetzler.
Paston Norman & Beard
Pentney Norman & Beard 1915
Pirnough Mark Noble organ 1865 went to Itteringham
after gale damage to the church.
Plumstead St. Michael Norman & Beard 1886
Postwick W.C. Mack 1866
Potter Heigham built by Hedgeland (London) 1879 for
Thorpe St. Andrew, moved to Stratton Strawless Hall,
later to Lound Hall (both owned by W.J. Birkbeck, an
authority on Russian church music and plainsong). Here in
Pulham Market Norman & Beard
1898. Old Bullen organ went to Mattishall.
Pulham St. Mary Bodley case 1886,
small Hill organ.
Quidenham Wordsworth & Maskell 1888
Quidenham, Carmelite Monastery notable Richard
Bower organ 1998
Rackheath Corps, rebuilt Middleton ex-All Saints,
Norwich. Here 1978.
Ranworth Norman & Beard
Redenhall Holdich 1843
Reedham electronic organ after fire in 1970.
Reepham Harrison organ
1907/8 from Whitwell moved along here 1970.
Repps Walker 1861
Reymerston Middleton 1938
Riddlesworth Hill, Norman & Beard 1917 (one of
the first after amalgamation of Hill and Norman &
Ridlington Bishop & Starr,
ex-St. Peter, Woldingham, Surrey, thence to St. Felix
School Chapel, Felixtowe, and then to Shelfanger. Here
Ringland Middleton 1933
Rockland All Saints Rayson 1943
Rockland St. Peter Arnold installed
anonymous organ ex-N Walsham Congregational 1946
Rollesby Norman & Beard
Rougham Middleton 1925
Roughton Norman & Beard
1886 replaced by modern instrument
Roydon (near Diss) Norman 1873 rebuilt Boggis
Roydon (near Lynn) Walker 1873
(Wymondham) c.1901. Unplayable but kept because it has a
memorial plaque on it.
Runham Norman & Beard 1911 moved to Hockering
Rushford Gray & Davison
Ryston Bryceson organ went to High Kelling.
Saham Toney parish hacked up Norman & Beard
organ to put an electronic in the console opening.
Salle Norman & Beard
Salthouse Norman & Beard
organ installed by Boggis from Queen Street Methodist,
Sandringham Case by Sir Arthur Blomfield (1890),
Saxlingham Bevington organ from
Catholic Apostolic Church, Kentish Town, installed 1968.
Saxlingham Nethergate Norman & Beard 1896.
Saxthorpe T.S. Jones,
ex-Cordwalles School, Camberley
Scarning Norman & Beard 1886 ex-SS Simon &
Jude, Norwich. Here 1919.
Scole W.A. Boggis for
residence in Wymondham 1953. Here in 1964.
Scottow unique organ case,
built for (or by) the squire, Sir Henry Durrant 1859,
incorporating old carving including what appears to be a
Jacobean fireplace. The original was a very large
instrument for its date and place, and when the Squire
intended to play on the pedals he would post a notice,
On Sunday next, Sir Henry Durrant, Bart., will use
the Big Pedal Stop. The actual construction may
have been done by Benjamin Collins, and the organ was
rebuilt on a smaller scale by Cedric Arnold 1938.
Scoulton Casson Positive said to have been
bought from a pub in Lowestoft. Another, possibly more
reliable, version says it came from Weston, Suffolk.
Sculthorpe Snetzler chamber
organ, ex-Assembly Rooms, York.
Sea Palling some pipes said to be over 200 years
Sedgeford 1862, rebuilt by Mack in 1893
Seething Storr 1961
Shelfanger much travelled organ
went to Ridlington.
Shelton There was a pipe
organ here, which went to Keswick Hall Chapel long ago
and is now in Yorkshire. The church contains a French
harmonium which has been commercially recorded.
Sheringham St Peter Norman & Beard
1928, rebuilt and enlarged.
Sheringham St Joseph Richard Heslop
Shernborne Norman & Beard 1901
Shipdham Griffen & Stroud (Bath) 1903 ex-Calne
Baptist, Wilts. Installed here by Holmes & Swift 1985
and improved 2000.
Shotesham Holdich 1846
Shropham Henry Jones c.1875
Sidestrand Paddy Benson 1909 for
Norman & Beard. Rebuild of 1887 N&B organ for SS
Simon & Jude, Norwich (for previous organ there, see
Sloley W.C. Mack using pipes
by Kirkland from Thorley, Hertfordshire.
Smallburgh Samuel Street
(Kings Lynn) ex-Holme-next-the-Sea. Here 1937.
Snettisham Kirkland 1885
Southburgh Organ ex-Taverham
Hall went to Little Fransham 1950
Southery Norman & Beard
Southrepps F. Hughes (London) for Hanworth Hall.
Here 1922. Rosewood case and stops inlaid with
South Acre chamber organ c.1850, supplied by
South Creake Bevington 1870
South Lopham Bevington 1878
South Pickenham organ ex-West Tofts, pipework by
Hooghuys (Belgium), rest possibly by Bishop 1857.
Enlarged by Miller (Cambridge). Case design most probably
by Sir John Sutton (not Pugin), built by Bethune of
Ghent, who did a lot of work for Sutton (e.g. St. Andrew
the Less, Cambridge. Organ case). Here 1950.
South Rainham Bevington c.1860
South Runcton Samuel Street (Kings Lynn)
South Walsham G.P England 1791
ex-Norwich Assembly Rooms, via St. Laurence. Rebuilt here
by Wood Wordsworth (Leeds).
South Wooton Bower 1990
Sparham Holdich 1845, from a school in
Spooner Row Bevington
Sprowston, St. Cuthbert Rayson 1905, additions by
Ralph Bootman 1974.
Sprowston, SS Mary & Margaret Godball
Sprowston, St. George Catholic church The
electronic organ by Miller of Norwich was, when built in
1962, the largest electronic organ built in Britain. It
is still in use.
Stalham Corps 1918
Stanfield Norman & Beard
Stanhoe Allen (Bristol) c.1840, ex-Stoke Ferry
Starston Boggis 1992 after
old organ destroyed in a gale. Good case.
Stoke Holy Cross replaced by an electrone, but may
still be there. Practice organ by Alfred Hunter (London)
for Zachariah Buck of Norwich Cathedral c.1867. Here in
1878. Recast by Ralph Bootman 1967. One of the smallest
three manual organs ever built 5 speaking stops!
Stow Bardolph Holdich c.1869
Stratton Strawless E.W. Norman 1882, Hill, Norman
& Beard 1939
Strumpshaw Norman & Beard 1895
Suffield Rayson 1877
Surlingham Norman & Beard 1898 for The
Chantry, Norwich. Here 1930.
Sutton James Corps 1860s, ex-Stalham.
Swaffham Bishop 1877
Swaffham, Our Lady of Pity Catholic church Jardine
Swafield Rayson 1880
Swainsthorpe Nicholls & Fitt 1919
Swannington used to have an old
ex-practice organ, smallest two manual on record, only
two stops. New organ 1982 by Richard Bower nice
Swanton Abbot Hill c.1867
Swanton Morley Norman & Beard
1887 ex-St. Michael-at-Plea, Norwich 1970
Swanton Novers Bishop 1904, rebuilt
Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt 1961.
Swardestone Storr 1967
Syderstone T.C. Lewis 1880
Tacolneston Samuel & Twyford (Dalston) 1880
Tasburgh Norman & Beard 1909
Tatterford Gilks (Peterborough) model organ 1970
ex-Convent, Walsingham. Here 1999.
Taverham Holdich 1860
Rest Cartwright (London) 1910
Terrington St John Holdich 1856
Tharston Norman & Beard
Thelveton Bishop 1900
Thetford, St. Cuthbert Binns (Leeds) 1910.
Thetford St. Mary the Less fine organ by
Hart of Redgrave 1809, now at Little Waldingfield,
Thetford, St. Peter Mark Noble (1855)
Thetford URC 1870 Denman (York) ex-St.
Positive 1913, rebuilt Bower 1995. NB: the
case is not by Pugin, as suggested by Pevsner, but a
standard Casson type.
Thornage Thomas Elliot
chamber organ 1812, ex-Swanton Novers Hall
Positive 1905 rebuilt Storr 1978
Thorpe Abbotts Bates 1835,
converted from barrel to finger Rayson 1878
Thorpe Hamlet, St. Leonard J.C. Bishop (this
church is now demolished - sk)
Thorpe Hamlet, St. Matthew Rayson 1877 (a new
church, replacing old one with the same dedication, was
built in the 1990s - did they take the old organ with
them? - sk)
Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe Bates chamber organ c.1850
in the shape of an upright piano (cf Cransford, Suffolk)
from a London residence. Here 1959.
Thurlton - Bevington 1850
ex-Stragglethorpe, Lincolnshire. Here 1962, via Hedenham
Church and Rectory.
Thurne George Pike England c.1813 for Oby Rectory.
Thursford Gray & Davison
Thuxton Norman & Beard 1911
Thwaite St. Mary amateur job from Barnby Rectory,
Suffolk, front pipes from Mark Noble organ at Necton
Tibenham Rayson 1871
Tilney All Saints Henry Jones
Tilney St Lawrence Walker 1864.
Titchwell Forster &
Tittleshall Binns 1895 in a poor state
temporary organ by Bower.
Tivetshall St. Margaret second hand organ
1950 via Gordon Paget.
Toft Monks anonymous, bought
from a house in Beccles in 1943.
Topcroft Norman & Beard
Tottenhill Norman & Beard 1889
Trimingham John Windus (London) here from
elsewhere. Only known organ by this builder.
Trowse Newton Norman & Beard 1913
Trunch William Gray chamber
Tunstall first organ built by W. Norman, founder
of Norman & Beard, originally in his home in London.
Shaped liked an upright piano.
Tunstead Norman & Beard
Tuttington Mark Noble 1965.
Upper Sheringham Case by Arthur Hill
Upton Holdich 1865, ex-St.
Andrew, Norwich. Here 1905.
Upwell, Christ Church Lewis & Co.
Upwell, St. Peter Kingsgate Davidson
Walcott ex-East Ruston 1978
Walpole St. Andrew Forster &
Walpole St. Peter Boggis 1996. Fine
Warham All Saints Norman & Beard
Watlington Walker 1901
Watton Norman & Beard 1887, rebuilt Storr 1975
Weasenham All Saints Norman & Beard 1906
Weasenham St. Peter Walker 1873 for Bayham Abbey,
Kent via Paddock Wood Methodist. Here 1973.
Weeting James Scott (West Tofts)
Wells-next-the-Sea Forster &
Wereham Casson Positive
Westacre possibly Daniel Gray c.1820
Weston Longville Walker 1906
West Bradenham possibly by Mark Noble c.1855
West Lynn Ascribed to Elliot
& Hill, but could be Holdich or a temporary Bevington
organ from St. Margarets. Converted to 2 manual by
Wordsworth 1895. A few tiny suggestions remain of a
West Newton Walker 1881,
presented by Queen Victoria, enlarged for Edward VII
West Rudham Norman & Beard 1894
West Runton Williamson & Hyatt 1958
West Somerton Bishop 1934
ex-Enbury Park RC, Dorset. Here 1955. Also an old barrel
West Tofts first organ now at
Great Walsingham, second at South Pickenham.
West Walton an old Holdich with
an interesting case was supplanted by a 3 manual Willis
rebuild from a church in Sheffield, but the Holdich
remained in the church. The Willis is reported as being
gone in 2004.
West Winch Conacher 1912 from a chapel in
Yorkshire. Here 1967.
Weybourne Casson Positive 1908
Whissonsett Nicholson (Rochdale)
1850 for a Lancashire house. Here 1896.
Whitwell Harrison organ moved
along the corridor to Reepham.
Wickmere Henry Fincham (1880)
for a residence, thence to Sidney Sussex College,
Cambridge. Here 1963.
Wickhampton case George Pike England 1810
Wiggenhall St. Germans Norman & Beard
Wiggenhall St. Mary Holdich 1880
Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen John Dixon
Wighton amateur job
Wilby Norman & Beard
Wilton Casson Positive
Wimbotsham W.B. Cowing (Barnet)
1906. thought to be his only solo effort,
although he was in partnership with Robert Spurden Rutt
for a while.
Winfarthing Rayson 1889
Winterton Brindley &
Foster (Leeds) 1896 dismantled 1998, due to be replaced
with Norman & Beard organ from Ormesby St. Margaret.
Witton barrel and finger
organ by Walker 1857 for Witton Rectory. NPOR also has
details of a 3 manual organ by C.H. Whiteley in this
Wiveton Holdich chamber
organ,built for the Great Exhibition 1851, then to
Bayfield Hall, and also stood in Cley Church for a while.
Odd Italianate case.
Wood Norton Middleton 1927
Woodbastwick Norman & Beard
Wood Rising Flight & Robson
barrel organ 1826
Worstead Rayson 1879,
completed in recent years by Bower.
Wreningham Hunter 1870, ex-Brocklebank Institution
Chapel, Wandsworth. Here 1956.
Wretton Walker c.1850
Wroxham Storr 1972
Wymondham very important large
organ built by James Davies and supplied by Longman &
Broderip 1793. Later modifications left a very versatile
instrument incorporating the old pipes. There is also a
James Davis chamber organ c.1810, ex-Battle, East Sussex.
Yaxham Norman & Beard 1891
David Drinkell BA, FRCO(CHM), ADCM, ARCM
Organist & Choir Director
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist,
back to ORGANS OF NORFOLK
home I index I latest I introductions I e-mail I about this site I glossary
small print I www.simonknott.co.uk I www.suffolkchurches.co.uk
churches I desktop backgrounds I round tower churches