Richard Phipson (1827-84). To describe Phipson as a major 19th century architect would be unfair, both to him and to other 19th century architects. But his influence in East Anglia was huge, not least because he was Norwich diocesan architect between 1871 and 1884. Any plans at that time would have passed through his hands, and perhaps that is why there were no outrageous restorations or rebuildings during these years in East Suffolk or Norfolk (at that time, East Suffolk churches were in the Diocese of Norwich). Phipson was not burdened with a vivid imagination, but he was a meticulous stickler for detail, not missing a beat when it comes to the fine-tuning, from the flushwork on the exterior walls, through the interior tiling to high-camp reredoses. Many smaller-scale restorations are also his; anywhere reasonably sensible, reasonably restrained was probably his. It is hard to find a church in the Stowmarket area or Waveney Valley that does not bear his impress.