Henry Munro Cautley (1875-1959). Diocesan architect from 1914 to 1947. His shadow falls heavily across the Anglican churches of Norfolk and Suffolk for two reasons. Firstly, his extraordinary surveys of the 1930s, published as Noroflk Churches and Suffolk Churches and their Treasures. He visited the 1300+ surviving medieval churches in the counties, documenting in great and loving detail every tiny aspect, however seemingly insignificant, which gave evidence of the medieval life and practice of the building. He is the giant upon whose shoulders everybody elses work sits. No one would do anything remotely as ambitious until Mortlock more than 50 years later.

Secondly, although he only completely designed three churches (the magnificent All Hallows, the first St Andrew, and the rather less cheery St Augustine of Hippo, all in Ipswich), his influence on early twentieth century additions and furnishings was a firm one. He was an avowed medievalist, sticking to the letter of it rather than the spirit, and having little time for fancy. He oversaw the designs of others with a critical eye. His own designs in wood are rigorous and dour, with little flair or flamboyance.

At this distance, they are all peculiarly influenced by the 1930s, with dark heavy wood creating a sombre feel. At times, especially on a larger scale, his works could inspire feelings of awe, although the incense-led worship he advocated for them has long since disappeared. His finest work, apart from All Hallows, is probably that at Westerfield, offset as it is by Morris and co. windows. He was a member of the congregation here for 60 years; his memorial is in the chancel, and he is buried in the graveyard.